Add by Poisa

Monday, May 6

Better Than Grep

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

searchI'm not that knowledgable about the command line and controlling a server with it. Over the years I have picked up a few bits - I use nano a lot for editing files, and I like to use grep to search my code.

Or at least I used to.

The other day I was trying to work out how something worked in WordPress, and I was using grep to search the WordPress code base - except it wasn't traversing the directory tree properly. So I asked on Twitter if I was doing something wrong. I got this as a reply...

So I checked out BetterThanGrep.com a quick read and it looked like what I need. Ack is a replacement for grep designed specifically for programmers.

Installing it was easy - just a single line of code to grab a Perl script from an external website (obviously caution is recommended when doing this sort of thing).

curl http://betterthangrep.com/ack-standalone > ~/bin/ack && chmod 0755 !#:3

Using ack is super simple. All you have to do is navigate to the directory you want to search and then type ack 'search_term'.

To go with this there are a bunch of additional parameters that allow you to display and filter the results in the way that works best for you. For me I have only used a few of the parameters so far - I've listed them below. You can read the rest of the commands in the documentation.

ack -A 5 -B 5 'search_query'

The A and B options display the matched line of code, and the lines before and after - with the number of them limited by the size added after the option. In the example above I limited it to 5 lines either side of the result.

ack -l 'search_query'

The l option changes the output so that it only displays the filenames of the files that were found to have the search query. I used this to narrow down my search so that I could work out what directory my problem files were in.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment